Friday, September 12, 2008

Straight Edge

***Disclaimer: The following post is controversial and additionally -my opinion. With that said, read on...

Okay, so I just want to talk about something that has been on my heart and mind lately...
Justin and I are what some might consider "straight edge". This is a term used for Christians who are extremely conservative. We don't smoke, drink, cuss, etc...This is a lifestyle choice we have chosen and would be this way even if we weren't in ministry. (besides aren't we all called to be ministers?..okay getting off track...) As Christians we are constantly being watched by others.

This is not a judgemental or condeming rant, so don't take this personally if you drink occasionally. I know plenty of people and friends who do. This is just something I wanted to get off of my chest and simply, it's not for us.

Titus 2:11-12
"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age..."

I think the world is so wrapped up in pleasures...drinking, smoking, etc.... When do we separate ourselves from the world/the unsaved? If the world is drinking, shouldn't we be obstaining? When is it clear for others to look at our lives as examples and say "Oh, they are different."? Yeah being different isn't always easy, but I want to be set apart.

Titus 2:6-7
"Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness."

This is Paul's instruction to Titus...and to us. Set an example people, show integrity, get serious about your walk and how your life is being reflected to others. Sorry to be so "preachy", it just bugs me that so many Christians/people in ministry are so flippant with how they conduct their lives. I mean I know we're all human and slip up every once and a while, but lets set a standard here. 'Nuff said.

No comments: