Friday, January 16, 2009

My delivery experience

Well, I thought I would fill everyone in on the somewhat traumatic delivery experience. I went in at 3:30 am to be induced. They started the Pitocin (sp?) at 5:30 and then the fun began. My contractions got stronger but completely bearable. My Dr. came in at 7:30 and decided to break my water. That was A LOT of pressure. From then on the contractions intensified more and more!! I decided I wanted to get the epidural by about 10:30 am when I started to shake from the pain and couldn't take it any more. (Honestly if I HAD to, I could have gone longer but the anesthesiologist was there and i wanted to stay ahead of the pain.) Once I got the epidural i was very comfortable. I tried to get some shut eye (next to impossible in the hospital). I was so blessed with amazing nurses (definitely something I prayed for)! My nurse kept checking me and I just wasn't progressing. By 4:30 my Dr. decided to perform a c-section on me. Everything from then on went really fast. They started prepping me for surgery and I got really emotional. I'm so glad my family was there for support and Justin was a rock during the whole process.

I got into the operating room by 5:20 and Judah was out by 5:34 weighing 7lbs 9.5 oz and 20 inches long. Then the horrific part began. My doctor started sewing me up and I began to feel it. I told the anesthesiologist that I could feel what they were doing and she said, "OH, I'm sure it's just pressure." I reassured her it wasn't and she just brushed me off and pumped more meds into my drip. I was then rolled to Recovery. I told my nurse that I was in a ton of pain. They kept pumping stuff into my epidural drip. Still NO relief. Finally my nurse decided to roll me over and check on the epidural on my back. To her surprise, it was completely out...my epidural had come completely out probably before my surgery. They decided to give me several different types of pain meds NONE of which were working. I was shaking from pain and getting groggy from the medicine. Then the nurse proceeded to push on my abdomen. (they do this to prevent clots and to help the uterus contract) I have NEVER EVER been in so much pain. Poor Justin didn't know what to do. I was miserable and we were there from 5:45 to 10:00 pm. Finally they moved me to my room. I got no rest that night. The nurses kept coming in checking on me and trying to show me how to nurse. I was overwhelmed with pain and emotions.

The hospital I delivered in is one of the top 4 women and baby hospitals in the nation. I was so blessed with amazing care and didn't feel like I was at the hospital at all. The aesthetics in the hospital are so warm and it felt like I was in a hotel room. We were blessed to have lots of visitors come up and the nurses joked that they had seen my whole church come through there. Oh well, we definitely felt the love.

Sorry this post was so long, but I figured some of you might want to know the details of my delivery. I will say it was traumatic but so worth it to have Judah here. He is such a sweet boy and we feel so blessed. (especially since he slept 5 hours last night!!!) Thanks for all the prayers and sweet comments.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Sweetie, I'm so sorry! I somehow missed this post. I hate that you had such a rough time afterwards, but I do pray that you are healing well, and having fun with Judah! He is so handsome!!!