Thursday, March 31, 2011

Humble Pie

Have you ever had to eat a slice or even a whole humble pie? Well I have, many times in my little short life. Just recently my husband, being the awesome youth pastor that he is, felt called to talk about Grace and Forgiveness. I thought it was such a great series especially since it’s such a HUGE concept. I mean really, can we fully grasp Grace? Justin defined it as “Unmerited Favor”. WOW. I’m so thankful for God’s grace in my life. Just like the song says, “If not for Grace where would I be?...” So during his series we broke out one week into c-groups (connection groups) as I began to talk to my group about Forgiveness, more specifically, asking them if there was anyone they needed to forgive, I began to self-examine. I realized that there was someone in my life that I needed to forgive. Yikes. My spirit began to sink. How could I encourage these teens to forgive those who possibly hurt them, when I hadn’t done that very thing!?! So then the conviction set in. (Don’t cha just love that feeling?) I knew I had to do it and had to do it right then. I found the person who had hurt me 5 years ago. That’s right 5 years I had hung on to the hurt and pain. A bitterness had formed in me. I had known for quite some time that I needed to get this off my chest but continued to repress it, because, you see, I HATE confrontation. I don’t think you will meet a less confrontational person. I just want everyone to get along and for flowers and sunshine in my life. So I prayed for courage and humility and approached this person with tears and trembling asking for THEIR forgiveness. You see it was them that needed to forgive me. Yes, I felt that they had hurt me, but it was me that held the bitterness and resentment towards them in my heart. This person was shocked that I was hurt at this circumstance that took place 5 years ago and come to find out it was just a huge misunderstanding. They asked for forgiveness as well and we hugged it out. *SIGH* What a relief to get that off my chest. It was like instant FREEDOM. If I began to tell you all the things God has begun to do in me since that night you would be in shock. I truly feel that it was holding me back. In so MANY ways! Have you ever had a freeing moment in your life? I’d love to hear them! Ephesians 31-32 “Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” Philippians 2:3 “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.”

1 comment:

Abigail said...

very brave Jules.