Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Money, it doesn't grow on trees

Starting this year, Justin and I have vowed to be the best stewards of our money as we can. We had always tried to do our best, but now we have decided, with much persuasion from a dear friend, to start clipping coupons.
Now, in the past, I always considered this a colossal waste of time and money. I would always buy something that i wouldn't necessarily use just because I had a coupon for it! Silly! Well, the website we have been learning about and using is http://www.southersavers.com/. This girl really does a great job of matching coupons to items that are already on sale and for several different grocery stores also! The one that seems to be the best for us is Publix. They have their BOGO (buy one, get one...you've got to learn the lingo too!) deals every week. She posts all the bogo's and then additional coupons that you use on both items, the free item and the one you're paying for. So, essentially, you could get items for free or for like .30 a piece!!
Publix is also awesome because they honor competitor coupons. I went shopping last night and used several Target coupons. I spent $50 at Publix and saved $40!! The girl that writes the "blog" puts links to print out other coupons from websites such as couponbug.com and others. Justin and I just created a "junk coupon" g-mail account so we could join such websites.
I'm excited to see how much I can save. Justin has even gotten into it! As a matter of fact, we sit together on Sunday nights and go through the (2) Sunday papers and website to see what we need and what the best deal is!! Yay! I encourage you to consider couponing this year. Give it a try. Even if you're not totally into it, if you do it here and there you'll realize your putting money in your pocket! It's worth it!

3 comments:

Jaclyn Gallaher said...

I love southern savers!! You can also get some great deals at CVS. Everyone needs toothpaste and shampoo, and it's a bonus when it is free or very cheap!

Jenn said...

I'm with Jaclyn! I've been using SS for a while. You can save a ton at CVS. I also started looking at retailers site (I grocery shop a lot at Kroger), and they list a ton through their site, and through P&G. I probably cut my grocery bills by about 50%. It does take some effort, but it's worth it. Plus, I have a network of ladies at work, and we coupon swap... if you can't find a buddy, let me know!

Andrew and Meagan said...

Jules, I've been doing this for a while now...and it really pays off. I've found that Publix works out cheapest for me too! Unfortunately, they wouldn't honor the last Target coupon that I tried to use. I think mine just honors other grocery store coupons. That stinks. Haha. Good luck!!!!!!