Friday, November 6, 2009

Motherhood in the Raw, Part 4

1. Not a light Sleeper? You will be! Becoming a mother I guess requires that you become a light sleeper. I could have slept through a tornado before I had Judah, now I promise I could here him cough through 3 closed doors. Judah has just been diagnosed with Bronchiolitis and so he's been coughing throughout the night. Every time he would cough or whimper, I would jump up. (Justin on the other hand, doesn't budge...interesting!) Maybe it's something in a mom's subconscious that kicks in when little ones are sick. Who knows?

2. The taste of Freedom. Judah is now crawling almost faster than I can walk. I fear that he will be walking sooner than I'd like. I used to could put him in his pack-n-play and he would be continent. Now, he's tasted "freedom" and won't stand to be put in a toy or apparatus that allows ME to get things done around the house.

3. Habits. Rocking to sleep, holding the bottle, watching TV. I do all of these. The whole rocking thing is something I love to do because it's "OUR" time together. Well, the downside is that he won't go to sleep (easily) without being rocked. Yes, I still hold Judah's bottle for him. I have tried the sippy cups, but he doesn't know how to tilt them up. We're working on this. I didn't want Judah to watch TV until he was 2, but this is a bit impossible. We let him watch Praise Baby and he really loves it. (He smiles when he hears it come on. lol) I guess you could call these all habits. Are they bad ones? I guess time will tell.

4. Testing Me. Lately, Judah has been pushing the limits. It's crazy how early they learn to test you as a parent. Will you give into that fit of rage because you took something away? Will you punish him for doing something you already said "No" to? Well, Justin calls me a softy, but I think I'm getting better at this. I can tell that he will be the disciplinarian in our family, but I'm working on my sternness.

5. 9 months on 9 months off. So the whole saying "It takes you 9 months to put on your baby weight and it will take you 9 months to get it off."? Well, for me this is true. I think I'm finally back down to my pre-baby weight/size. I'm able to wear my pre-Judah jeans and am so thrilled. One night I decided to try them on and came out doing the happy dance! (It's the little things, I guess.) So, don't be discouraged if the weight doesn't fall off, but also, your body WILL be completely different.

6. Time is limited. In January, I will go back to work full time. For those of you who don't know, I have had the pleasure this past year to take off Wednesdays every week to spend with my baby. Due to finances being so tight, I have to go back to 40 hrs. per week starting Jan. 1. I am so sad, but am so grateful for the time I've been able to spend with my baby. If you are able to reduce your hours, do it! It's been a tight squeeze financially this past year, but in my eyes, SO worth it.

No comments: