Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Gag me


Okay, so Judah is going on 9 months old and now has 6 teeth! I can't believe it. This child seems to be growing much faster than my pregnancy went by! I can't believe we are headed towards 1 year, it kinda makes me sad. But no worries, we are not planning for another one for quite some time so I'm obviously not TOO upset about it!


I got inspired for this topic based on my fellow blogger, Lindsay Mills, who wrote about her 8 month old who has NO teeth and she's giving him table/real -people food. Now, I admit I have been very cautious about giving Judah different foods. We have just now gone to chicken and turkey baby food. He is definitely a "texture" baby which I am afraid he gets from me. As soon as I gave him ground meat that I made for the first time, he gagged to kingdom come! I went out the next day and purchased canned meats, which the thought of canned meats disgusts me to the core! Well, it went over much better. He ate it but not without a questionable face. I am gradually giving him more and more. Hopefully we can move to beef soon...eww canned beef does it get any worse than that?


So, for the past couple of weeks I have started to feel like I have babied Judah too much in this area. I took my time introducing different stages of foods to him as I thought I was supposed to...now I'm questioning my method. It seems that other children his age are eating table food and loving it. So should I push him to eat things that make him gag and hope he gets used to the texture? I also give him oatmeal with every meal still, is this wrong? I thought it would act as a filler since he pretty much eats primarily fruits and veggies. Also, I wonder when kids start eliminating their afternoon bottle (3:30)? It seems Judah is doing that (or teething), so maybe I should just put together a healthy snack for that time of day. I will say he's getting quite good at picking up foods/snacks such as Cheerios and those melty snacks, but will NOT hold his own bottle or attempt a sippy cup. Moms out there any advise?

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

i love doing research, including everything about baby but the one thing i still feel clueless about is the food. You are NOT alone. I just picked up "the Baby Food Bible" from the library. We will see if I learn anything. Lydia still eats cereal at most meals, with either fruit or veggie puree, only twice a day. and cherios too.

Unknown said...

Oh Julie...don't worry about the bottle holding. Lauren NEVER held her bottle, ever!!! She finally started holding a sippy cup but that wasn't till after she was a year old. And on the feeding thing...go with your gut!! Every baby is different with foods. I held off on stuff for forever with Lauren, she was the first. Now with Colin I know things here and there are ok. We give him little tastes off the table every once and a while but only things that are basics. One thing my ped. said is to be very careful of giving your child table food this young because if he realizes how much better things taste from the table he might turn and only want that which is bad. He needs the nutrition that the baby food/formula gives him. I had to fight with Lauren before she turned a year cause she was figuring out table food was better. Give him time and give him what you think he is ready for! You are a great mom and you will figure out what fits for Judah and what doesn't. He will also let you know what he is and isn't ready for, including when to give up bottle feedings, it seems to just kinda happen. I don't remember ever just saying, ok no more bottle at this time. Hope this helps some, I am no expert but your gut does tell you a lot. Best of luck.

Jules said...

Thanks cuz!! Love ya!